"The Invention Of Lying" Movie Review Oct. 1st, 2009


First and foremost I wanna thank everyone who came to see the movie with me, so its time for shout outs: Dad, my friend Dawnn that I used to work with. My friends Bob and Janet. Kiera and her mom Andrea, Monique and Tim (it was great to see you guys) and anyone else I forgot I'm sorry!

The Invention of Lying is a comedy written by and starring the ridiculously funny Ricky Gervais. Its is also staring Jennifer Garner, Jonah Hill and of course Rob Lowe. So the premise of this movie is simple: IN a world where no one can lie or even know what lying is one mad discovers he can and when he does everybody automatically believes him (because they don't know any better).

So there are a few things that I am going to address first: this movie is rated PG-13 but I would not suggest to any parents with kids that age or younger there are multiple times that the dialogue goes sexual and is a bit more detailed then "Tommy Teenager" needs to hear. The second item I want to address before the rest of my review is the hidden storyline behind this comedy. Besides the funniness and laughter there is a (not very well hidden) theme in this movie and it is actually about atheism and GOD. There is no GOD in this alternate universe and nobody has ever heard of "The Big Man In The Sky" until the main character makes him up to comfort his dying mother and then the whole movie spins that way. Then he just starts making up rules that GOD wants the world to live by and then he mimics Moses and the ten commandments. Not sure if they were mocking/spoofing or completely making fun of the Bible but just beware that is the central theme.

On with the review. Overall I liked this movie, it was a bit slower then I expected, with less laugh-out-loud moments then I hoped for but there was a surprising twist that I didn't expect, this movie had a heart! There were quite a few heartfelt and tearful scenes and that I wasn't expecting. This was a great addition to the typical situational comedy that I was gonna place this movie in.

The Supporting cast was great and I surprisingly believed the relationship between Garner and Gervais. I liked Jonah Hill as the downbeat suicidal neighbor. Rob Lowe doesn't even have to act to be the pretentious you-know-what (its just how he seems to be in real life in my opinion). I love the cameos appearances by Tina Fey, she can do no wrong in my book (so far).

So to boil it all down: you should see this film if you are OK with the two reasons I listed above and you can expect laughs just not constantly. Be prepared for some slower dramatic parts and if your an emotional movie goer a tissue or two as well.

I hope this was helpful and until next time Ill see you at the movies!

ADP
0 Responses